Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mexican Delight

Mexican delight - what on God's green earth is that?  This my friends, is what happened last week when I was sick of eating sandwiches and salads during finals week and needed a no-fuss meal.  I threw a few cans of stuff together in my crock pot, went to the library for the day, and came home to this deliciousness.  It's like having my own personal chef!

Perfect for those days when you know you won't have time to cook a meal after work, or those steamy summer days that you can't stand the thought of heating your kitchen up.  This dish is simple, but is full of big flavors.  It's sure to make your whole family happy.   (wow, I sound like a commercial right now - blame it on the concussion ;) )

Why is it called mexican delight?  When Josh got home from work he asked me what we were having for dinner.  I thought about what it was for a second, and this clever little name just kind of came to me.  I'm not really sure what else to call it.  I'm not really a huge hot dish person (otherwise known as casserole to non-midwestern folks).  So it's not a hot dish :)  It is however Mexican, and it is delightful.  And that is good enough for me.

Mexican Delight
serves 4

Ingredients

  • 1 can black beans - drained
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1 can green chiles
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 packet taco seasoning
  • 1 1/2 cups corn (I used frozen)
  • 1 1/2 c brown rice
  • sour cream, cheddar cheese, cilantro, tortilla chips to garnish
Directions
-Add beans, tomatoes, chiles, water, taco seasoning and corn to crock pot
-Cook on low 6-8 hours
-Add rice, cook 1 - 1.5 more hours, add additional water if needed to cook the rice

-Scoop into bowls and garnish with your desired mix-ins

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At May 15, 2012 at 7:29 AM , Anonymous Faith @ For the Health of It said...

Im excited to have access to a crock pot once I move in with a friend this June - the idea of having dinner waiting for ya when you get home is just too great!

 
At May 15, 2012 at 12:31 PM , Blogger Ashley Blom said...

Delicious! Crock pot recipes are awesome and so easy! Plus Mexican flavors are always a win :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

What's Annie Making?: Mexican Delight

This page has moved to a new address.

Mexican Delight